Donate a light to this project -
OML and One Acre Fund team up to light the way for farmers
One Acre Fund is a nonprofit organization on the ground in Kenya, founded in January 2006 to help east African farmers address growing food shortages.
One Acre Fund (OAF) thinks that food aid is at best a temporary solution. Instead, OAF fights hunger by empowering farmers, through an entire package of farm investment, basic necessities, and education for farming families in Kenya are Rwanda.
To reach their goals One Acre fund is partnering with One Million lights to expand their services to provide clean, safe lighting to farmers and their families. Lights helps increase literacy in Kenyan farming communities, and enable farmers work later into the night — more hours means more crop growth, increased farm income, and more food for families in need.
Farming families in Kenya
Need: $7,500/Solar Lights: 500
Learn more about it:
- Africa is facing a growing food crisis
- One in six children do not survive to age 5
- Lights will help farmers who have to work into the night, and increases take home profit of farmers as well as overall food production
- 150,000 families are impacted by OAF donations
- Lights help farm children get a valuable education after long days spent working in the fields