August 2013 – One Million Students is a program of One Million Lights promoting solar energy education to schoolchildren from grade K-12. We are currently fundraising to support the operating costs of this program.
Key Features of the Program:
- The program aims to reach over a thousand schools in the next few years.
- The program integrates the SunPower Foundation’s signature global energy education effort, ‘100 People Under the Sun’ initiative with One Million Lights’ mission of supporting awareness of solar lighting as a healthy alternative for energy around the globe.
- The program includes inspiring lesson plans that encompasses exercises, stories, and experiences about solar energy.
Take-aways from the Program:
- Environmental education in the classroom for students in elementary, middle and high school as well as an introduction to the field of renewable energy and its impact on global issues.
- Grade-appropriate curriculum materials for schoolteachers to incorporate into their classes on subjects such as Environmental Studies, Math and Science.
- Educate and inspire students to make smart power choices and grow up to be environmentally-conscious.
- Hands-on experience for students with fundraising and the distribution of solar LED lights to communities-in-need around the world.
In the future, we hope to make this program more accessible by making it an interactive web-based program. By donating today, you are helping us keep the program going by allowing us to open up registration for new schools and allowing us to start the process of making it more available to everyone.