Solar powered lights offer a clean and eco-friendly solution to rural environments that are dependent on unhealthy and polluting kerosene lamps for lighting. With solar powered lighting, there are:

No respiratory illnesses   
No deadly burns
No eye strain

There are approximately 1.6 billion people, or one quarter of the world’s population, living without electricity.   As a dangerous solution, millions of homes in India and around the developing world are left to the mercy of dim light from dangerous, polluting & costly kerosene oil lamps. 

Kerosene is a liquid mixture of hydrocarbons and is derived from petroleum or coal tar.  When it burns, it emits harmful carbon monoxide fumes that are colorless and odorless but deadly. 

Some alarming health statistics of chronic kerosene users:

  • The World Bank estimates that breathing kerosene fumes is the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. Approximately 780 million women and children are exposed to this every day.
  • At least one million people die every year of respiratory ailments in India; fume inhalation greatly attributes to this toll.
  • Ingestion of kerosene or acute exposure to vapor may lead to general signs of intoxication including dizziness, headache, nausea, and vomiting.  According to the World Health Organization, 30-50% of children presented with suspected kerosene ingestion are asymptomatic.  
  • Research indicates that repeated exposure to kerosene and petrol fumes elicit hepatotoxicity which in turn impairs normal liver function.

Kerosene lamps are a serious fire hazard in the developing world. Accidents from these lamps not only cause severe scars but also incapacitating third degree burns, and even deaths.

With the MightyLight, people can breathe clean air in their homes instead of breathing fumes from kerosene lamps.


World of Color d.b.a. One Million Lights is a 501(c)3 approved, tax-exempt public charity.
Copyright © 2009 World of Color.